Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Naturally Me! To Powder or To Talc?


Here a little food for thought.

What is Talcum powder?

Do you believe that Talcum Powder and Baby Powder are the same?

There are actually differences between the two:

Talcum powder is made from talc, a mineral containing elements of magnesium, silicon, and oxygen.  Talc Powder can be clear or opaque and translucent.  Talc also has ingredients of zinc stearate, magnesium and silicates.

Baby Powders are a milder substance because they are made with cornstarch instead of talcum powder which can be harmful to baby’s lungs when inhaled.  Most talcum powders are contaminated with asbestos fibers) Cornstarch is much less harmful when inhaled and should be a serious consideration when looking at powders not only for babies’ safety but for the entire family.

Why Cornstarch?

Cornstarch has anti-inflammatory benefits, it calms itchy skin and rashes, and burns. 

When thinking about the differences between the two there are no comparisons to which one works best, cornstarch is the winner. 

I enjoy creating my own line of products and making my own baby and adult powders is one of my favorites because I can customize it to be more absorbent to wetness and odors. I also like the fact that I know what I am using in my powders.  “If I don’t put it on my skin, I don’t sell it to my friends.”   The best part is that I love infusing my cornstarch with other natural elements such as baking soda, Kaolin and French Green Clay or any other of type clays for that matter. In addition to clays, we use Arrowroot powder which is a white powder starch that feels and looks like cornstarch; it’s extracted from the root of a tropical West Indies plant called Marantha Arundinacea that’s grown in Thailand and Brazil.

Arrowroot is used in many cosmetics to help moisturizers penetrate the skin and may be used in other products similar to cornstarch.  Natural Clays are the key to many great natural product lines.  At least it works great for me and my line.

When considering the pros and cons of your talcum powder to baby powder, consider that baby powder is not only safe for your babies but safe for adults as well.  Talcum comes with many disadvantages and can come with a few risks as well.  But the decision is yours.  Many reports suggest that talcum powder around the genital areas, armpits and cause cancer and tumors.  In women, it is linked to ovarian cancer.  I believe that regardless of talcum or baby powder, we should be careful when using these manufactured products.

The only real way to know what you are using on your skin is to investigate and research your products and find out what works best for you and your family.

We have a line of hand sifted powder visit us at naturalproductsbytmb.com
1 - Our Organic Baby Soft Powder - Powder Puff
2- Our Organic Shaker After Bath Powder for Men/Women

 
Our Blog is to inform, never to advise, we hope that you will always consult your physcian regarding any skincare issue you may be undergoing.  We love natural and we want to share what we love.  Stay Well!!

No comments: